Almost ten years ago, when I began sales training, I began to experiment with my own techniques while continuing to research and interview some of the top sales people in a range of industries. Now that I understood that selling wasn’t about a persuasive pitch, intuition and the law of attraction, I began to understand what the best sales people out there were really doing.
Moreover, what really worked began to remind me more and more of my experiences playing highly competitive sports. Selling not only was a game, but it was a very competitive one, where the top 5% of salespeople out-earn the other 95%.
Particularly in the 21st Century, where buyers have become so savvy, it was time for a completely different system of selling. What came out a few years later was Game Plan Selling. There are three core principles to Game Plan Selling—known as the ABC’s to modern-day selling:
A—Always be different…from what the prospect expects of you
B—Be Systematic…and follow a game plan for every aspect of selling.
C—Create your prospecting play book…and live by it.
[Note: Some will have expected ABC to stand for “Always Be Closing,” as in old-school selling techniques. Of course, that old mindset of Always Be Closing is totally outdated and simply doesn’t work in the 21st Century. So, I think it’s appropriate to rename the ABC’s accordingly.]
From now on when you are in a selling situation, start to see it like a sport. Remember, always be different, be systematic and know exactly what prospecting behaviors you must do each day to hit your numbers.
For more information on Boston Sales Training, check out the link.
By Marc Wayshak, America’s Sales Coach on Game Plan Selling and Sales Trainer Boston, MA.